I know it’s been a while since I’ve written anything on this page, but here I am!
Winter this year has been incredibly mild – at this time last year I was up to my knees in snow!
But this year spring showed up so quickly no one even had to time to hang their coats up.
Anyway, spring is here, and these are the signs:
- First barge on the Mississippi river. You can hear them blowing their horns at night.
- A cardinal moved in to the yard – and hasn’t shut up since.
- My dog’s nose is turning black again (it turns pink during the winter).
- Dairy Queen is open! (Need I say more?)
- Our maple tree has refused to yield even the tablespoon of sap that we usually get (we really had no tree-tapping season at all this year, it was so warm).
- All the cars have their windows down and the convertibles have their tops off.
- Baby buggies roll down the street all day long.
- Beautiful flowers are blooming on bushes around the neighborhood, but invariably die when I try to bring them inside and put them in a vase.
- There’s also this beautiful yellow bush that is in bloom everywhere, and at first I thought it was a golden rain tree (laburnum), but the flowers aren’t quite right. Here’s a picture – any ideas?